Monday, July 5, 2010

Cars and such

We were fortunate to be able to visit a few.....car related structures? I'm not sure if it was the hundreds of priceless automobiles or the pure geometric forms, but the Porsche Museum was very impressive. Although touring a place where you can be almost certain you'll never be able to afford anything they product was somewhat bittersweet. It was like being diabetic and touring a Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory.



The Mercedes-Benz Museum didn't relay the same feeling. It came off as a much more...down to earth place. (As a footnote: In Germany almost every taxi you see is a Mercedes, so while many Americans normally think of that particular brand of car as prohibitively expensive, they are kinda the Chevy of Germany.)

Although I'm still not really sure what the BMW Welt facility actually does, I do know that the the double cone in the front was a really cool space.


...and finally I'm sorry to say, we visited the Volkswagen Transparent Factory. I can only speak for myself when I say I found this building to be a major disappointment. Many of the architectural elements seemed to stylistically clash with one another and other just seemed completely out of place. Better luck next time VW.



No comments:

Post a Comment